How to Prepare Your Home Before Your Foot or Ankle Surgery
Think ahead to how you will manage when you return home from the hospital. Use this check list to help you get ready:
- If you live alone, consider having a friend or family member stay with you initially after discharge from the hospital.
- Recruit family or friends to assist with laundry, grocery shopping, and transportation for appointments and errands.
- Consider setting up a temporary living area on the main floor if you have many stairs to climb
- Pick up throw rugs, tack down loose carpeting, and remove electrical cords and other obstructions from walkways.
- Provide good lighting throughout the house.
- Install nightlights in bathrooms, bedrooms, and hallways.
- Have comfortable clothes that you can easily get on and off.
- Move frequently used items in the kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom to countertop level or to middle shelves for easy access.
- Prepare and freeze meals in advance.
- Make arrangements for pets, mail, and trash if you live alone.
- Check stair railings to make sure they are secure or installing railings if not already there.